Reinvention: 60’s Brocade Jacket, Part Three

To say this took longer than I expected would be an understatement!

During the time it took to work on this, we also:

+ moved back into our own house and rediscovered all of our things that’d been in storage while sharehousing (and having a big clearout in the process)
+ went about organising all sorts of things for our wedding, including my doing some alterations on one of my bridesmaid’s dresses (there’ll be a wedding post very soon…)
+ I walked into a ceiling support beam and got a tetanus shot and four stitches under my eyebrow six weeks before the wedding (which I did at work and now they think I’m a badass ’cause I didn’t even cry)
+ visiting far away relatives (both our parents live far away…it’s always interesting seeing what’s changed around the little towns whenever we go back)
+ and of course, we got married, and it was AWESOME!!!!

And so, it took a fair bit of stopping and starting and coming back to things in stages, for me to finish my jacket project. Now that’s it’s done, however, let me take you through the last few steps!

img_0684.jpg
 
Lots of pinning and basting while I sewed the side seams on both the outside and lining of the jacket…

img_0583.jpg 
img_0584.jpg
 
Here’s the front and back after I finished sewing and clipping the side seams. It’s pretty important to clip your seams to reduce bulk – and there was a fair bit of leftover fabric from this which I’m looking forward to using in another project.

img_0590.jpg 
img_0587.jpg 
img_0588.jpg
 
Here I’ve sewn the sleeves down to their new widths, and clipped the seam allowance as well – I decided to add in a close-up of the sleeve hem so you can see what I’ve done here properly. If you stitch through like this with the fold opened up, it makes for a nice neat cuff when you turn it back up, and in this case, I was able to keep the original bias binding too.

img_0592.jpg
 
I had to do a bit of unpicking inside the hem at the bottom of the jacket before stitching up the sides properly and hand-stitching the hem. This is very similar to what I’ve done with the sleeve, it just reduces bulk and makes the seam and the hem sit nice and flat, as well as looking neat on the outside. The pin you see in the background is what’s holding on the frog closure on the outside of the jacket – it came with the jacket when I bought it, I’ve decided it adds character and I’m going to keep it on there.

img_0837-1.jpg 
img_0878.jpg
 
Ta-dahhhhhh!!!! All done! When I first bought this jacket, I wondered how it might look in my size, feels good to finally complete this and wear it for real!

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Follow:
Share:

2 Comments

  1. November 1, 2016 / 6:02 am

    This looks amazing! I think this is something I need to do myself. Awesome work. xx

    • November 1, 2016 / 7:19 am

      Thanks Coralee! I’d definitely recommend having a go at it, it’s so satisfying seeing the end result! ☺️💕

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *