When I think of Valentine’s Day – I think chocolate! And what better way to tell your loved one how much you adore them by giving them loads of delicious chocolate cupcakes?! These are quick and easy to whip up using every day ingredients, so you still have plenty of time to get cooking these delectable treats before Valentine’s Day.
(Vegan, soy free and dairy free)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used Australia’s Own Organic Almond milk – for a nut free recipe, substitute for other dairy alternative milk)
- 1 cup sugar (I used natural cane sugar)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (or other oil)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
For the buttercream icing
- 1/2 cup Nuttelex or equivalent, room temperature
- 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- If too thick, add 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk, to achieve your desired consistency
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. With an electric beater, mix milk, oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar and vanilla together in a large bowl. Beat on medium speed for a minute or two.
- Now sift in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder and bi-carb soda). Mix well, until the clumps are gone.
- Spoon the batter into prepared cupcake pan, about two thirds full for each. Bake for about 20 minutes at 180C, or until the cupcake slowly springs back when pressed with a finger. Allow to completely cool before putting on the icing.
- Make sure to lick the bowl!
For the Buttercream Icing
In a mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup of Nuttelex with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla extract and the red food colouring and beat until pale. Slowly add in the icing sugar until combined. Using a free standing mixer when making icing is a great idea, because you can leave it mixing for about 5-10 minutes until nice and fluffy, while you tidy up! Otherwise, just beat the icing using a handheld mixer for at least 4-5 minutes.
Once icing is nice and light and fluffy, pipe onto the top of cooled muffins and decorate with toppings of your choice. I have used vegan choc chips but raspberries or sprinkles would be just as yummy!
Eat and enjoy!